Start a New Life Today - Confess, Express, Don't Always Say Yes!

I started a new life when I entered my teens…
To tell you about it I am absolutely keen…

I took a pledge…
To self-introspect, stay true and confess…
To open the mouth, speak up and express…

To gather courage to say, “No, it’s not fine”…
To let the emotions flow that remained confined…

To release the pain, agony, misery and grief…
To stand against the wrong to bring in the relief…

To shun the muddle of egregious deeds…
To reserve my right to ask for what I need…

To wear armour of confidence to discourage hypocrisy…
To be the her bringer of virtues and peace to attain ecstasy…
                                                                                                       ~Jyotika Rajput Mehra Poetry

Imagine a little girl... soft-spoken, innocent and obedient; one who thought it is good to obey everybody in this world… be it your parents, teachers, friends, neighbours or relatives; one who quietly took all the scolding from her father for dancing or listening to music; one who was humiliated by her teacher just because she couldn’t score well in mathematics, no matter she topped in her drawing exam; one who was teased by neighbours just because she never stereo-typed her friends (male or female)…

The little girl was none other than me! The question is - "Was I really at fault???"
Being prey to bullying, it was getting difficult to survive in an environment which was typically gender-biased. And, in the practice of saying “yes” to everybody, in the end of the day, I was hurt, snubbed, and unhappy… unable to do the things which I love, unable to make my small wishes come true, just because I was unable to confess!

Indeed, it is good to please people, it is good to obey our elders, it is good to listen to our friends… but it is absolutely not good when doing all this makes you uneasy and offended! It is absolutely not good to be anybody’s puppet and lose your worth!

Sooner did the realisation struck hard upon my senses to express myself. The weak girl was then no longer in fear of revealing the emotions. I observed my timid voice gradually transforming into a bold one, letting the world know about my sentiments, my opinions, my beliefs… letting them know that I too can say “no” and reject something… letting them know that I would no longer live life on their terms and conditions… letting them know that I too have my own likes and dislikes… I too have my own choices… letting them know that I too am a human and not a mere object!

Yes, I started a new life when I was thirteen.  Haunts of the gone by years have had left such a terrific impact over my psyche that I decided to get rid of the choking issue. I started raising voice against whatever seemed unfair. Be it the absurd behaviour of my father, hypocrite people of the society or few mean teachers at school… all were responsible for this impulsive change. And... I actually thank them all from the core of my heart – they are the ones who provoked my inner self to bring in the striking transformation!

Be considerate of how others feel...
But, let others too know how much you are suppressed...
That’s the best way out for the wounds of heart to heal...
Look up, confess...express... don’t always say “yes”...!
~Jyotika Rajput Mehra Poetry

This post is written for https://housing.com/


Disclaimer: 

* Author of this post reserves rights for the written content source being original work of art. Please do not copy without permission. ©Jyotika Rajput Mehra

* This post is purely based on the author’s feelings and perception, the purpose of which is to encourage the readers to be assertive, confess and express their feelings. It is a gentle reminder for all those who are suppressed for their originality to build courage to raise their voice against the odd whenever necessary!

Comments